Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Gift Idea Wednesdays: Felt Sock Monkey Mug Cozy



Oh, Sock Monkey.

The odds were against this post today. I had the idea after pinning this cute crocheted version of a sock monkey cozy.

Plus, I know a sweet little boy with a sock monkey obsession.

So, yeah. I ran out of thread, misplaced my needle, left my camera at the office, blah blah blah.

But out of strife arose this beautiful little guy.

Am I talking a little nuts today? Maybe I've had too much coffee. In my defense, it was really good coffee.

Anyways, with only 17 days until Christmas, this is a quick and easy project to throw together.


*for you ultra perceptive people-yes, my monkey face is upside down (on the body piece), but it doesn't make too much of a difference.

To make this you need:
*grey felt
*red felt
*white felt
*2 black buttons (I did not have these, so I painted some black)
*grey ponytail holder
*red button
*embroidery thread
*hot glue

I made you a pattern to use, in the spirit of giving and all. So right click on below and save the image to your computer, then print out and use.



1. Cut out pieces.
2. Stitch the mouth pieces and eyes onto the body piece.
3. Stitch the ears, then hot glue to the sides (so they stick out adorably).
4. Stitch on the red button to the back and hot glue the ponytail holder to the other side.

Here are some detail shots.





Yes, that ponytail holder looks like a hot mess, but it will be on the inside of the cozy. No one will ever know.

When I have more time, I might go back and do red stitching across the top and bottom of the body piece and put a black line on the mouth. Or should I just leave him as is?

He's pretty darling...



6 comments:

Kara at Petals to Picots said...

I saw your sock monkey cozy on Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts. So cute and clever!

~Kara (your newest follower :)
If you get a moment, I would love for you to check out my site www.petalstopicots.com :)

Katie said...

Ha! This is great!! So flipping cute! How could anyone not be happy with coffee and a cute monkey cozy?!

Crafty Mischief said...

What a cute little sock monkey! I found you through Someday Crafts. Thanks for sharing!

Emily Weinzapfel said...

I am just DYING over how cute this is!! :) Would love for you to link up @ Find Your Craft Friday over on my blog... Have a great Friday!

Emily @ BabyBerry
http://weinzapfelbabyberry.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This is genius!!! I love a sock monkey!

Anonymous said...

Haha that just put a smile on my face. That monkey always makes me laugh. Anyways, this is too cute.